20 adventurous things to do in New Orleans
New Orleans may be a laid back place where go-cups are the norm and chilling is always encouraged, but there’s an adventure for everybody if it’s thrills that you seek. From spooky ghost tours, to kayaking in the swamps, diving deep into historic neighborhoods or trying something exotic to eat (alligator, anyone?), an adventure awaits.
2. Track spirits, specters, voodoo queens and even vampires on one of the city’s bone-chilling ghost tours in the French Quarter.
3. Get behind the wheel of a super fast Ferrari and do some laps around the track at NOLA Motorsports Park with Xtreme Xperience. You can ride with a professional or drive yourself.
4. Kayak through the Tupelo Swamps and learn about the “Lost Lands” of Louisiana.
5. Discover New Orleans neighborhoods, each with their own character, history and story to be told.
7. And if you take this path on Thursdays, Fridays, or Saturdays in the afternoon, you’ll run right into Second Line Brewing, where you can hear live music and grab a beer from the folks who make it.
8. Pack a picnic and take the Algiers Ferry to see our beautiful skyline from the Mississippi River (editor's note: the Algiers Ferry is temporarily closed for maintenance through the end of 2019. Check the RTA service alerts for information on alternate bus routes in the meantime).
9. See the elephant exhibit Audubon Zoo. And be sure to say hello to the alligators.
10. See some bugs and other creepy creatures at the Audubon Insectarium.
11. Pet a shark at the Audubon Aquarium.
13. For a sweet and salty treat, order the Praline Bacon (exactly what it sounds like) from Elizabeth’s in the Bywater. From there you can wander across the Piety Street Bridge to Crescent Park and walk off all that delicious food.
17. And if you’re a serious adrenaline junky, you can get up close and personal with the wildlife on a swamp tour.
18. Try your climbing skills at New Orleans Boulder Lounge on St. Claude Avenue.
19. Catch a fishing charter that will transport you straight from the French Quarter to the waters of Lake Pontchartrain or the Gulf of Mexico.
20. Relive the untold story of a soldier as you go back in time at the fabulous World War II Museum.
*Please note, taxis and ride-sharing services are not available for pick up from most plantations. Transportation options are available through all the plantations-- please book accordingly.