FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 9, 2007
American Academy of Ophthalmology Convenes in New Orleans Nov. 10-13
Largest convention of the fall with over 20,000 attendees
WHERE: Morial Convention Center-New Orleans, Halls D-J
WHEN: Saturday, November 10-Tuesday, November 13, 2007
DETAILS: The Annual 2007 American Academy of Ophthalmology is one that shouldn’t be missed. This year, it consists of over 500 peer-reviewed Instruction Courses, Skills Transfer Labs and Breakfasts with the Experts, over 475 scientific posters and 44 surgical videos presenting the latest in ophthalmic research—available at terminals throughout the center and over 120 hours of scientific sessions including Cataract Monday.
The Academy is pleased to demonstrate its commitment to the rebuilding efforts of New Orleans, which in 2007 will host the Academy and its 25,000 attendees for the fourth time in 10 years. It is projected to bring in $27 million in economic impact.
It is one in a series of important, consecutive citywide conferences taking place in New Orleans this fall.
MAJOR EVENTS / NEWSWORTHY SPEAKERS:
- EyeBuild Habitat for Humanity project, Nov. 7-9, 6:15 a.m., Morial Convention Center, Hall D
- Over a three day period, more than six hundred ophthalmologists will join together to participate in the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s EyeBuild project, a partnership with the New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity to build houses in the residential areas hit hardest by Hurricane Katrina. The volunteers will wear protective eyewear to highlight the results of a new survey finding that nearly half of eye injuries occur in the home and 75 percent of all injured did not wear protective eyewear.
- 22nd Annual Run/Walk for Vision 5K sponsored by Bausch & Lomb, Sunday, Nov. 11, 6:30 a.m., Steamboat Natchez located on the wharf at 1 Toulouse Street behind Jax Brewery, corner of Toulouse and Decatur Streets
- EyeSmart: Take Part Reception, Monday, Nov. 12, Morial Convention Center, Room 282
- Noontime Concert, Tuesday, Nov. 13, 12:15 p.m., Morial Convention Center, La Nouvelle Orleans Ballroom B
CONFERENCE WEBSITE: http://www.aao.org/meetings/annual_meeting/
TO OBTAIN PRESS CREDENTIALS: AAO Annual Meeting Press Office: Hall I, Room 283, Morial Convention Center-New Orleans, 504-670-5837, 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m. (Friday-Tuesday)
MEDIA CONTACTS: AAO: John Gallagher, 415-531-3061, email@example.com,
Morial Convention Center-New Orleans: Rosalie Mortillaro, 504-582-3027, firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #