The Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport has announced an expansion to the plans for the new terminal, currently under construction, bringing the total number of gates from 30 to 35. The plans include a 2,190-car parking garage, a central utility plan and a ground transportation area.
- The new terminal is now set to open February 2019.
- The five-gate expansion and new opening date comes as the airport has exceeded all passenger enplanement targets and added new international airlift to Europe and South America.
The airport has also added numerous new flights:
- Alaska Airlines announced a daily, nonstop flight from San Francisco to New Orleans beginning September 21st, 2017.
British Airways has begun nonstop service from London to New Orleans four days per week, and announced that starting October 30th, 2017, the service will increase to five times per week.
- This new, international nonstop flight will depart from London-Heathrow Airport and fly to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, connecting New Orleans to more than 130 destinations and beyond.
- This is the first time in over 20 years that New Orleans has had a direct flight to Europe.
In addition to British Airways, Condor Airlines has a new twice-weekly departure from Frankfurt, Germany to New Orleans through October 4th, 2017.