The numbers are in and we are thrilled to share with you that in 2016, New Orleans hosted a record-breaking 10.45 million visitors who spent $7.41 billion. Visitation numbers were the highest since 2004 and a 6.9 percent increase from 2015, and the spending was a 5.1 percent increase from the record-setting spending the year prior.
The research shows that the cumulative increase in spending was felt in all categories and overnight visitors to our area who stayed in hotels spent an average of $1,033 per person, per trip, stayed for an average of 4.0 nights and spent an average of $231 per person, per day.
Other useful statistics:
- Population of New Orleans, as of July 1, 2016: 391,495 (U.S. Census Bureau).
- Number of Restaurants as of August 1, 2017: 1550 (nomenu.com).
- Number of Festivals: More than 135 festivals annually. That equates to roughly one festival every three days.
- Number of Hotel Rooms: More than 22,000 in the downtown area and more than 38,000 in the greater metro area as of January 1, 2017.
- Miles of Bike Lanes: More than 100 miles of on- and off-street bikeways.
- Louis Armstrong International currently hosts 15 airlines and serves 59 nonstop destinations with approximately 150 daily departures.
- The Port Of New Orleans reported more than 1 million cruise passengers in 2016.